HND in Computing leading to BSc ComputingCourse Title: BTEC Level 5 Higher National Certificate in Computing
The level 5 Higher National Certificate in Computing is a 120 credit course that aims to prepare students for specific occupational focus in the field of computing.
- Length of course: 480 guided learning hours*
- Awarding Body: Pearson
- Start Date: Please get in touch for up to date information
- Application Deadline: Please get in touch for up to date information
- Mode of delivery: Blended Learning
- Study type: Full or Part Time
- Enrolment Fee: Please get in touch for up to date information
- Awarding Body Fee: Please get in touch for up to date information
- Tuition fees: Please get in touch for up to date information ( * Student loan available with 0% APR )
*This consists of 480 guided learning hours and approximately 720 hours of directed study, making a total of an estimated 1200 hours.
*20% Tuition Fee Waiver for 2021 Session. Apply now to see if you're eligible.
The BTEC Level 5 Higher National Certificate in Computing aims to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals who are able to meet the demands of employers in the computing sector and adapt to the constantly changing world of IT.
Through six specialised pathways, students will gain professional status and be supported on their journey to their occupational areas of choice within the field of computing. Alternatively will have the credits they need to progress to university level. As such, the specialised pathways within this course are ideal for students who wish to enter into further study or employment within fields such as Network Engineering, Software Engineering, Data Analytics, Security, Intelligent Systems and Applications Development. Alternatively, students who are still undecided have the option to choose a non-specialist ‘Computing’ pathway, which allows them to complete a Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma without committing to a particular professional specialism.
By the end of the course, graduates will have developed a sound understanding of the principles in their field of study, understand how to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems, and b able to perform effectively in their chosen field. Furthermore they will possess strong qualities of personal responsibility and decision-making.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS AND SUITABILITY
In order to be accepted onto this Level BTEC Level 5 Higher National Certificate in Computing, applicants must:
- Have at least a Level 4 qualification in the area of specialism (or equivalent)
- Be fluent in English and have good communication skills
- Hold a good knowledge of numeracy, literacy, and ICT
Please note that previous experience may be considered.
COURSE FEES: HOW TO PAY & WHAT’S INCLUDED
- Tuition Fee: Please get in touch for up to date information
- Payment Plan: Fees can be paid in one payment or in interest-free monthly instalments.
- Payment Methods: At TWC we accept any of the following payment methods - Credit or debit card, Bank transfer, Paypal, or Western Union
- Included in the Fee: All course materials, personal tutor support, access to our online social learning forum, live online classes, assignment marking and feedback, an NUS Extra card, and upon completion of the course, career support - including CV workshops.
Before completing the Level 5, students must have completed all required level 4 modules and gained 120 credits.
At level 5, students must achieve a further 120 credits. This must be done through completing 2 core modules and 5 optional units.
- 1. Computing Research Project (Pearson-set): 30 credits
- 2. 4 Business Intelligence: 15 credits
The optional units have been grouped according to sector specialism and it is strongly recommended that students choose one from each group. Each module is worth 15 credits.
Network Engineering (Group A)
- - Transport Network Design
- - Cloud Computing
- - Network Security
Software Engineering (Group B)
- - Discrete Maths
- - Data Structures & Algorithms
- - Advanced Programming
Data Analytics (Group C)
- - Discrete Maths
- - Data Mining
- - Applied Analytical Models
Security (Group D)
- - Cryptography
- - Forensics
- - Information Security Management
Intelligent Systems (Group E)
- - Machine Learning
- - Artificial Intelligence
- - Data Structures & Algorithms
Application Development (Group F)
- - Prototyping
- - Application Program Interfaces
- - Application Development
Additional Optional Units
- - Games Engine & Scripting
- - Game Design Theory
- - Analytical Methods
- - Systems Analysis & Design
- - Network Management
- - Client/Server Computing Systems
- - Architecture
- - Database Management Systems
- - E-Commerce & Strategy
- - User Experience & Interface Design
- - Analytic Architecture Design
- - Risk Analysis & System Testing
- - Internet of Things
- - Robotics
- - Emerging Technologies
- - Virtual & Augmented Reality Development
- - Games Development
- - Systems Integration
- - Operating Systems
BTEC Higher Nationals in Computing are assessed using a combination of internally assessed centre-devised internal assignments (which are set and marked by centres) and internally assessed Pearson-set assignments (which are set by Pearson and marked by centres).
Learners must complete a variety of assignments in order to achieve their level 5 qualification, which include Guided Learning, Independent and unsupervised research and learning, Unsupervised compilation of a portfolio of work experience , Unsupervised e-learning, Unsupervised e-assessment , Unsupervised coursework, Watching a pre-recorded podcast or webinar and Unsupervised work-based learning.
Learners will be awarded a pass, merit or distinction qualification grade using the points gained through all of the modules.
Points Per Credit:
- PASS: 4
- MERIT: 6
- DISTINCTION: 8
- PASS: 420 - 599
- MERIT: 600 - 839
- DISTINCTION: 840 +
CORE SKILLS AND PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to progress to University Level and study a range of subjects, including but not limited to:
- Network Engineering, Software Engineering, Data Analytics, Security, Intelligent Systems, and Applications Development
20% Tuition Fee Waiver for 2021 Session. Apply now to see if you're eligible.